Friday, August 23, 2013

Moving mountains ....

                     


So what's with all these mountain metaphors?!? Seriously, one can not move a mountain!  I mean, that's almost impossible right? But, when you think of metaphors, anything sounds possible. Like moving a mountain. Yeah, just call me super mom, I can't physically move a mountain, but I can use the metaphor as much as I want to represent what all I have accomplished these days! It's a big deal so I need something BIG to represent it!


         
               

Our official application was submitted to An Open Door Adoption Agency (AODAA) on August 15th. On August 20th, the day after my birthday, we were notified that we were "approved" to proceed with our adoption. Yes, we are trying to adopt Tetiana, our host daughter from this summer. It has not been easy up until this point. Read the title of this blog post again. Go ahead, I'll wait........ Mountain again? Yep, there it is again. We had gotten word that Tanya (which is what I'm trying to remind myself to call Tetiana from now on, it's what she prefers) was wanting to be adopted about a week after she returned to Ukraine, but we did not get word of this till the following week, talk about tense waiting to get word from her!

These last 3 weeks have been really hard. I won't bore you with the magnitude of the mountains but it seemed like one after another appeared in our path. Seriously, it seemed like dynamite couldn't even blast these monstrous things out of our way. (totally using metaphors again, I do not want to be known for blowing people up, I'm an adoptive mama and certainly not the only one who's had that thought!)  Had to wait on this to be okayed, then had to wait on that to be okayed, what was the problem with that, does this work, or do we need to do it that way??? Over and over and over again. Finally, realizing mountains can be moved. When you think there's no way, what will be the outcome, what's going to happen, your life has to be put on hold till an answer can be found. And, any adoptive parent knows, waiting is the hardest part of an adoption process!! There is NO metaphor for that!

So, I have been knee deep with application paperwork! (I'm starting to like these metaphors.) Here's my organized chaos.


I'm a super neat freak, no lie. Ask anyone who knows me! Binder, paper protectors, stapler, high lighter, pens, pens, and more pens, plus the trusty ole "got love? adopt". bag for all of it! Thanks Kelly A! Does this look familiar to anyone?



Aiden's adoption files, all of it! From the beginning, to after we brought him home, right down to the Finalization and COC!!  Worked pretty well, very organized and kept safe! Hey, it works! And works well for me. The second time around, this should be a piece of cake!

                                       

 (Someone stop me! I'm in metaphorictopia<--is that a word? My blog, I say it is!) 

So, what's next you ask? Well, I just shipped off her care package. New Horizons For Children staff are traveling to Ukraine on an interview trip soon and will take some of our kids things in a zip lock bag. Here's the contents of Tanya's bag. =)


The girl loved Zombie's when she was here. We saw a zombie movie which she loved! So I found some Zombie candy and pins, some earrings I know she'll like and gum of course! Anyone who knows anything about hosting kids is, it's all about the GUM factor! They love gum and I know Tanya loves gummy worms. Susie, Tanya's package didn't get here before she left so I'm sending her your gummy bears you sent her! Thanks again! I'm also sending her the last of her pictures. When she was here, I took all kinds of pictures. At the end of her 5 weeks here, I had all the pictures I took printed,  bought an album and she put every one of those pictures in that album. These pictures are the ones from her last day here. I also wrote her a short note. Anytime I wrote her anything or gave her a small surprise while she was napping, was always with a big smiley face. =) Here's a post it note I would always leave on a fruit or something I left outside her door when she would nap. 


It's interesting, she would always keep the post it notes visible, on her calender that hung on her wall in her room. Sweet girl, she kept EVERYTHING!

I've read where some host kids will be the perfect child while visiting you and when you adopt them, it's like a different child has come to live with you. My expectations are not high, actually, I don't really have any at all, only to say, "I expect the worst and hope for the best". This will be a very hard transition for Tanya, and, my whole family. It's not just learning how to adjust, it's changing the whole core of your families world. We are a strong family, we have strong family ties and beliefs. And it doesn't hurt to get help from some books. In the words of our Social Worker, "you can never be too prepared, get all the education you can!" Thanks Julie, I intend to!


Julie also recommended the book, The Connected Child. All my adoptive mamas know that book! Can't wait to get my hands on that one!! 

Just to show you how far I would go for my kids, click here! (read the rest of this post before you click "here" to watch the video or hit the "back" button on your web browser after you view it)  Thanks so much Megan for the wonderful video. I have no more fear left in me! Thanks for the great documentation. 


So.... mountains may be in our way at various times in this process to bring Tanya home, but we'll have to tackle them one at a time. I ran across this verse the other night. I think it says it best. 

Matthew 17:20

English Standard Version (ESV)
20 He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment