Friday, January 13, 2012

Am I really going to do this?

I'm taking a big big leap of faith and starting my own consignment sale this year! Wow, I'm finally admitting it and that really scares me! I've always wanted to do this and there aren't but a couple of consignment sales in my area for the spring and fall and they're not even in the same town I live in. So I'm thinking, NOW IS THE TIME! I've got to jump on this if I'm really going to do this. So let the planning begin!

I have to say, I'm a planning, OCD'ed, overboard, think till I can't think anymore, nutcase, planner! So this should be right up my alley.  I've had a few people tell me they think I'd be good at it, so the boost of confidence is there. Now, to figure out how I can pull this off.  I've been to consignment sales since my Tay was a baby, now 11 years old. I'd like to think I know a lot about them, but I know I still have A LOT to learn.  Hopefully, my two cousin's, who had a consignment sale years ago, can help me out some. Thanking you in advance Cindy and Debbie! ;)

After thinking about all the consignment sales I've been to over the years, a few things come to mind - things I liked about them and the things I didn't like about them.  I'm very picky, for those of you that really know me,  this isn't a big shocker, remember, I'm an overboard thinker! So I'd really like to make this sale great for everyone, including me! So I really need to figure out how to make this an unforgettable consignment sale!

Advertising! There are 2 local papers I can advertise in and also been told to post fliers everywhere.  I need to advertise everywhere! I need to get signs made for all main roads leading to our house. Which I need to mention, I'm going to have the consignment sale in our detached garage.  By looking on the outside, you'd think, okay, big space, great! But.... on the inside is .....


all this stuff!  It's a 30 x 50  garage with plenty of room!  All we have to do is move all the big stuff out of it!


Yeah, that's a lot of stuff. But it's so doable, 3 vehicles, 2 lawnmowers, 2 motorcycles.  They all either run or roll, and the floor is pretty much clear.


 And, if I need even more space, I have our attached garage that'll work great too! (There's my trusty little Honda! 200,000 miles and still rolling! Ahem - and paid for!)


I've bought some supplies I'll need, making lists for more, etc.  I've got five, 6 foot tables, three 4 foot tables, 10 clothing racks, etc. I'm hoping to borrow 2 more 6 foot tables from a friend. Got 15 or more Sterlite containers for all the little extra small things that sell.  I'm going to have to get the assistance of the hubs to help rig wires and pipe for a very long clothing rack to hang from the trusses in the ceiling down to the floor. Let's face it, trying to store clothing racks for 10 months can wear on the hubby in his garage. So he doesn't have a problem helping me figure out a simple way to hang some of the clothes.    

I'm still in the early planning stage, but I'm really excited about it! And then the worry creeps up.  What if? What if? What if?  I can sit here and What if this all day, really! What if hardly anyone comes? I'll admit the first year of these sales  can be kind of slow.  I talked to a lady that did this kind of sale for years.  I always liked her consignment sale, put my things in her sale for many years. She advised me on a lot of things, do's and don'ts.  She said it takes a few years to really get the clientele, and to have a table set up for new clients to put their contact info on a list for the next season's sale.  

I've still got so much more planning to do for this! I'm hoping to start advertising in February, and have the sale towards the end of March. As soon as I can get my daughter to draw me a picture logo of what I'm wanting, I'll set up a Facebook page for my sale. I'm really excited about that! I've also come up with a name, "Time and Again Consignments" T for Taylor and A for Aiden. 

At just about every consignment sale I've been to, I always saw a table set up with a display of cute little hair accessories, made by hand. As soon as I thought of this, I knew exactly who to contact! More on this later!

One last thing, where will all these people park their cars? 



We have a big front yard and long driveway, notta problem. 

Okay, I'm committed, I'm in it for the long haul, and I'm a hard worker, so bring it on! Let's do this!! 



8 comments:

  1. How exciting!! Too bad we aren't closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds workable, do-able, and success-able. Go for it! And, I will help in whatever way(s) I can and that you need me. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting news! Best of luck with the big event. I know it'll be a big success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very exciting! Well done for taking the leap. Cant wait to hear all the updates and photos of the event!! Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a great idea! You go girl! Good luck!!! What a great place to get started. There are two really big consignment sales here and they do very well. It seems they do better because they advertise a charity along with it. One of the sales picks a place they want to give to to help children and ask every customer when they check out if they would like to donate a $1. Most people say yes. One is at the Potter Children's home and they give a % to them. I am excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah ~ This is awesome! So you are consigning items for others or is this your kids stuff? I need to know how far away Hopkinsville, KY is from you! I love a good consignment sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing both Ellen! Idk, it might be a little far for you E, but if you're up for a road trip, let me know! :)

      Delete